- Култура и традиција
St. Gjorgji, Kurbinovo, Prespa
Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:10
The modest home of the famous Angel
At the foot of the Baba Mountain, north of the village Kurbinovo is located the little three side church devoted to St. Gjorgji. It is built and painted in 1191, but there is no information about the ktitors, the desertion and repairing of the church. The church has a semicircular apsis on the east side, and the roof construction is opened (according to some sources, it was arched). Built of craggy stone, and looked entirely, you get an impression of a building with poor and disrespected exterior. But, typical for this church are the ornamental – decorative ornaments on the archivolts, frescos, partly performed façade parties in imitation of brick etc.
During the time, this church was often damaged. It is damaged during a fire, and after that it will be completely deserted for a long time. In the 17th century, it is built an outbuilding on the south side, and in the 19th century it was radically rebuilt and it was made a wooden roof and a pulpit. The north and the south entrance are walled up, on the south side are opened two windows, and on the west side is added a closed narthex.