- Култура и традиција
St. Pantelejmon, Veles
Tue, 08/03/2010 - 22:58
This church was built in 1840 under guidance of the most famous Macedonian builder from the period of the revival Andrea Damjanov (1813-1878).
Above the south part of the church he carved his name. The church is lying on a higher plateau on artificially built terrace, because of the steepness of the field. Andrea Damjanov uses here his own and original constructive idea, that later will be used by the other builders. Namely, the three side basilica is comprised from the south and the north side with porches, who are passing into galleries on the floor in which is settled the “women” church. Because of that, the building is developing in form of a mushroom, where he built the upper part of wooden construction, which is hiding skillfully under the painted surface.
It is especially interesting the east side of the church, that is decorated with polygonal lizeni* and a window in a form of a cross on the altar.