User login

Newsletter

Опис за NEWSLETTER

Clock Tower – Bitola

  • Notice: Undefined variable: controls_top in include() (line 10 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).
  • Notice: Undefined variable: pager_top in include() (line 10 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).
  • Notice: Undefined variable: image_count_top in include() (line 10 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).
  • Notice: Undefined variable: controls_bottom in include() (line 20 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).
  • Notice: Undefined variable: controls_bottom in include() (line 22 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).
  • Notice: Undefined variable: image_count_bottom in include() (line 24 of /home/cultmap/public_html/sites/all/modules/views_slideshow/contrib/views_slideshow_singleframe/views-slideshow-singleframe.tpl.php).

According to the legends, even though the existence of the Clock Tower was mentioned before in the 17th century, present Clock Tower was built in the 1830’s, in the same period when nearby, the Orthodox Church of St. Demetrious was built.

It was built with massive stone blocks. The main, and in the same time the most decorative part of the Clock Tower, is the part where the clock itself is placed, one on each of the four sides.

The entrance into the Clock Tower is on the north side of the tower, and it is encircled by big marble blocks. Approximately a hundred stairs leads to the clock, to its peak about 32meters high. On each of the stairs new information, new transformation begins. Those stairs lead to the top from where in the past the big metal bells sounded, indicating the precise time. In 1927, a new numbers and the first clock mechanism were placed, and some additional changes were made. The individuals in charge to ring the bells were replaced with sajzii which were in charge to take care of the clock and the clock mechanism. The first clock face was white with black numbers and hands, and it was smaller than the present one. This clock mechanism was changed in 1936, when 15 new bells, about 900 heavy ones, were placed there. They were a sign of gratitude for the building of the Memorial Cemetery of the German soldiers who died during the First World War.



In 1962, the mechanism was renewed, and in 1970 for the performance of new compositions, the piano was placed inside the tower. This Clock Tower is one of the 180 towers in the world which has built on this kind of mechanism. The music compositions make it even more unusual. Every six hours one of six compositions is played: Bitola Babam Bitola, Biljana platno belese etc.

This Clock Tower is not only a symbol of the time that passes by unstopping but it is a symbol of the magnificence of Bitola and her survival. The hands are moving as a sign of the past but the present time too. 

  • English
  • Македонски