- Култура и традиција
Mustafa Pasha Mosque – Skopje
Tue, 07/13/2010 - 12:48
One of the most beautiful Islamic monuments in Skopje
Located on the height at the other side of Skopsko Kale (Kale fortress Skopje ), above the entire locality dominates one of the most beautiful Islamic monuments in Skopje – The Mustafa Pasha mosque. It had been risen over the basis of the old church of St. Marina, by the respectable grand seignior of the Ottoman empire – Mustafa Pasha, in 1492. The construction is a quite simple square volume over which is rising a central placed cupola on trompes. In the interior of the southeast side it is placed the mihrab, decorated with plastic decoration made of marble.
In the interior, over the front door it is developing a kind of a gallery, intended for a service of the museini. The architecture of the entry part is completed with the porch, carried by four massive marble pillars connected between with bent arches. Above them, there are three blind domes, from which the one in the middle grows higher than the lateral ones, preparing the eye for the great volume of the central dome. Before the entrance there is a inscription written in prose with arabic writing, which gives us information about the time of building and the ktitor. The mosque is built of alternately rows of stone and brick. A special attention attracts the mural of the minaret, made of marble and tufa.
The complex of the Mustafa Pasha mosque is composed of the mosque, the türbe (tomb) of Mustafa Pasha, the sarcophagus of his daughter Umi, the fountain, a few funeral sign marks, and also rests from the old imaret and madrasah.